Thurston Conservation District is committed to doing our part for our community and the wellness of our employees, board of supervisors, and volunteers. To continue contributing to wellness we will no longer be accepting soil samples at our District office. We ask that you send soil samples directly to A&L Western Laboratories. TCD will provide free technical assistance by analyzing and providing recommendations based on your soil and nutrient test results. Please see information below on how to choose a soil test and submit a sample.
If you’re not testing, you’re guessing!
Whether you’re growing a garden, lawn, pasture, orchard, or row crops, soil testing is the best way to determine the right rate, timing, placement, and source of amendments for your particular crop and site conditions.
Thurston Conservation District assists in analyzing and providing recommendations based on your soil and nutrient test results.
You will receive:
- A soil analysis report from A&L Western Laboratories, which tells you the levels of each nutrient in your soil.
- A write-up from Thurston Conservation District interpreting your results which will help you see whether each nutrient is high, low, and what the optimal ranges are for each nutrient.
- Recommendations from Thurston Conservation District for how to amend your soil. These recommendations include what to apply, how much, and when based on the crop you are growing and general recommendations for our area (organic or conventional, based on preference).
Our recommendations follow land grant university guidelines and research that has been done for specific crop needs.
Basic Soil Test- $15.00 (plus shipping)
A Basic Soil Test is recommended if you have a garden, pasture, hay field, lawn, or are establishing a new annual crop. This test includes:
- Organic Matter
- pH and buffer pH
Comprehensive Soil Test- $33.00 (plus shipping)
A Comprehensive Soil Test is recommended is you are establishing a new perennial crop, like an orchard, or if you want to correct soil deficiencies for better crop yield and performance. These nutrients are important for many specialty crops. This test includes:
- Organic Matter
- pH and buffer pH
Post-Construction Permit Soil Test: $14.00 (plus shipping)
A Post-construction Permit Test is recommended if you need to know your organic matter content and cation exchange capacity (C.E.C) for a final permit approval with Thurston County. This test is similar to the basic soil test but does not include nitrogen.
Additional Available Tests
- Plant Nutrient Analysis
- Manure Analysis
- Compost Analysis
- Hay and Feed Analysis
- Selenium Content
- Manure Lagoon Water Analysis
If you are unsure of what test to choose contact Leah Kellogg, email@example.com or 360-754-3588 ext.100
Ready to find out what you’re working with in your soil?
Follow these soil submission instructions:
- Take a soil sample following our Soil Sampling Procedures document
- Place your soil sample in a Ziploc bag and label with:
- Full Name
- Sample ID no.
- Place your soil sample in the freezer and keep chilled until ready for shipping
- Select the soil test that is right for you — See above
- Select the corresponding soil testing form. You can access these forms by:
- Download and print a form from our website — See above
- Request a form be sent to you by mail or email by calling our office
- Pick up a paper copy outside of our office
- Fill out the corresponding soil testing form by filling out all of the highlighted areas. Not sure how to fill out the form? Check out a Example Soil Test Form or call our office for assistance.
- Keep a copy of your soil testing form for you records
- Package your soil sample securely with padding and bring it to your preferred mail carrier for shipment. We recommend adding an ice pack in the spring and summer to maintain cool temperatures. Make sure your package includes:
- Check payment made out to A&L Western Laboratories
- Completed soil testing form
- Soil samples in labeled Ziploc bags
Soil Sample Shipping Address:
A&L WESTERN LABORATORIES
10220 SW NIMBUS AVE. BLD. K-9
PORTLAND, OR 97223
To ensure the shortest transit time, we recommend shipping your samples Monday-Thursday.
- Please allow up to 2 weeks turnaround time to receive your results Once you receive an email from A&L with your results, forward the results to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a report with an interpretation and recommendations.