Thurston Conservation District 2024 Election Information
The 2024 Board of Supervisors Election for Position 1 will be held March 19th, 2024.
A mail-in election will be held March 19, 2024. Registered voters who live within the Conservation District boundaries are encouraged to request a ballot to cast their vote in the 2024 election. A ballot will not be automatically sent to you.
2024 Candidate Statements
My name is Muhammad Ayub. I am 54 years old and still learning. I live and farm with my wife, Lizzie, and children/grandchildren in Yelm, WA. I am driven to join this cause of the Thurston CD to help preserve farmland and the traditional agricultural life-style that is typical of this county, before the concrete jungle started encroaching. Carcinogens in the environment, deforestation, soil erosion and pollution have become a runaway train. I would love to contribute my time, energy, talent and skill-set towards furthering the goals of the Conservation District. Working together helps us move systematically towards milestones of measurable success. Fresh, energetic horses are needed to pull this carriage in this relay race. Cross-pollination of ideas will help the “hive-brain” to be successful. I bring the local farmers’ voice to the table and I am most enthusiastic and passionate about this cause.
As an immigrant to this beloved country, I started my journey in Madras (Chennai), India. I have been in the US since 1996 and became a citizen in 2004. I have an MD- Doctor of Medicine from Texas A & M University and Fellowship in Academic teaching. Currently, I work at Madigan Hospital.
My grandparents had a family farm in Bellevue, WA where they raised chickens and produce. They took the mosquito fleet from Bellevue to the Seattle market to sell their goods every week. Today that farmland is a car lot. We cannot afford to lose our small farms. I believe in the preservation of local farmlands and supporting small farmers by purchasing Community Supported Agriculture.
I have been in the horticulture industry for over 30 years. The last 10 years my focus has been on organic land care/ healthy soils. I am a Climate Reality leader in Thurston County. I served on the City of Lacey Tree Task Force. I volunteer with the Thurston Climate Action Team and Friends of Trees in Thurston County. I am a member of Zonta of South Puget Sound.
I try to walk my talk in most everything I do. I am a small landowner in Thurston County. I built a small, sustainable home with a low to zero carbon footprint.
I enjoy being part of the solution and learning from others. I look forward to serving on the board of the Thurston Conservation District.
How to vote
- Request your ballot
- Get a ballot mailed to you by requesting your ballot February 5 – March 12, 2024 at 4:30 pm from elections staff at email@example.com or (564) 669-4929
- Get your ballot in person March 13-15 and March 18-19 between 8am and 4:30pm from elections staff at the Thurston Conservation District offices (582 Tilley Ct SE, Suite 152, Tumwater, WA 98501)
- When requesting a ballot, be sure to share your full legal name, mailing address, physical address if different, and a way to be reached if the Elections staff need to.
- Return your ballot
- Place your ballot in the provided security envelope
- Sign your voter declaration
- Mail or drop off your ballot by March 19th (must be postmarked by this date). Postage is provided with all ballots and there’s a ballot drop box outside the TCD Office M-F, 8am-4:30pm through March 19th.
- Stay connected with TCD
- Preliminary election results will be shared March 29th and certified at the May WA State Conservation Commission’s meeting
- Keep in touch with TCD via our monthly newsletter, regular events, and community opportunities to see your civic engagement in action.
Please note, you cannot request, pick-up, or return a ballot for this election with the Thurston County Auditor’s Offices.
Hiring Temporary Election Employees
TCD is still looking for one additional temporary elections employee. Find a full job description and application instructions on our careers page.
- WA State Conservation Commission (WSCC) Guide to Conservation District Elections
- Conservation District Elections FAQs from WSCC
- TCD’s Election FAQ page
- Candidate information for elected supervisor position (Form PF-A) – Word or PDF – mandatory for all candidates to file by January 22, 2024
- Candidate Statement and Photo Guidelines – optional for all candidates to file by January 22, 2024
Additional information about Conservation District elections may be found on the WA State Conservation Commission’s website.
Supervisors are public officials and are responsible for setting and maintaining overall district policies regarding the management and conservation of natural resources within the District. The successful candidate serves as part of a volunteer five-person Board of Supervisors who each serve without compensation for three-year terms. Eligible voters must be registered to vote in Thurston County and live within the Conservation District Boundaries. Some parts of Yelm, Rainier, and Tenino do not qualify. Please check the map below.
Have questions about our election process?
Check out our FAQ page.
A mail-in election for a board seat (Position 1) on the Thurston Conservation District board will be held on March 19, 2024 at 582 Tilley Court SW, Suite 6, Tumwater, 98501. Candidates must be registered voters residing in the Conservation District and may be required to own land or operate a farm. The candidate filing deadline is January 22, 2024 at 4:30pm. Registered voters who reside within the Conservation District boundary are eligible to vote. The first day that voters may request ballots to be mailed to their mailing address is February 5, 2024 and the last day is March 12, 2024 at 4:30pm. Ballots can be requested in person March 13-15 and March 18-19 between the hours of 8am and 4:30pm. Please contact the elections line 564-669-4929 or firstname.lastname@example.org for a ballot or if you have any questions.
You can see a full copy of the Elections Resolution here.
Questions about elections and appointments?
Finance & Administration Manager
You can also use our contact form.