Education & Outreach Specialist
(360)754-3588, ext. 136
Nora White joined the Thurston Conservation District as the Education and Outreach Coordinator in July 2016. Nora grew up in Thurston County, and this position is an opportunity to blend a personal history and interest in local agriculture and food production with a professional background in social services and volunteer coordination. Nora is thrilled to be working in her home community to strengthen and grow conservation efforts!
Nora holds a BA from Warren Wilson College in Asheville, NC. Warren Wilson has a unique education model requiring students to hold an on-campus job and to participate in a community engagement commitment that emphasizes informed and productive community involvement around a variety of social and environmental issues. This combination allowed Nora to graduate with a degree in Sociology/Anthropology and Traditional Appalachian Music as well as extensive experience organizing and leading students in volunteer work, event planning, and a thorough understanding of food security, housing, and education issues within the United States. During college, Nora held several summer internships in Olympia- one with GRuB and one with Bread and Roses- which emphasized to her the power of community level work and the beauty of this place and community. Nora feels strongly that this background in community organizing around social issues and services as well as her experience growing up in 4-H and on a small farm in Tenino make her a unique and positive addition to the Conservation District team.
In her free time, Nora enjoys outdoors adventures, gardening, raising sheep, reading, cooking/eating, cats, and playing the fiddle.
Nora holds positions in other supported organizations and committees:
- Thurston CD representative at the South Sound Food System Network, South Thurston Economic Development Initiative, and Thurston ECO Network
- Sits on the Board of Directors for The Olympia Peace Choir
Educational Degrees & Certifications/Licenses:
- Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology and Sociology from Warren Wilson College (Minor in Traditional American Music)
- Masters in Arts Candidate in Community Food Studies from University of Washington
- Interpretive Guide Certification
Recognitions & Awards:
- 2014 Pfaff Cup Award – Warren Wilson College
- 2014 Senior Service Award – Warren Wilson College
- 2014 Senior Work Award – Warren Wilson College
- 2014 Mary Emma Gage Music Award- Warren Wilson College.