Communications & Education Manager
(360)754-3588, ext. 136
Nora Carman-White joined the Thurston Conservation District as the Education and Outreach Coordinator in July 2016 and is now the Communications and Education Manager. Nora grew up in Thurston County, and working at Thurston CD has been a wonderful opportunity to blend a personal history and interest in local agriculture and food production with a professional background in social services and volunteer coordination. Nora is thrilled to be working in her home community to strengthen and grow conservation efforts!
Nora holds a BA from Warren Wilson College in Asheville, NC and an MA from University of Washington Tacoma in Interdisciplinary Studies with an emphasis on Community Food Studies. Nora’s professional and academic experience in community-based education, social service assistance, partner collaboration, and communications combines with her 20 years of farming experience. Nora’s family raises a dual purpose sheep flock for fiber and meat as well as poultry and hay – they farm in Tenino.
In her free time, Nora enjoys outdoors adventures, gardening, reading, cooking/eating, cats, and playing the fiddle.
Nora holds positions in other supported organizations and committees:
- Thurston CD representative at the South Sound Food System Network, South Thurston Economic Development Initiative, and Thurston ECO Network
Educational Degrees & Certifications/Licenses:
- Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology and Sociology from Warren Wilson College (Minor in Traditional American Music)
- Masters of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies with an emphasis in Community Food Studies from University of Washington
- Interpretive Guide Certification
Recognitions & Publications:
- 2014 Pfaff Cup Award – Warren Wilson College
- 2014 Senior Service Award – Warren Wilson College
- 2014 Senior Work Award – Warren Wilson College
- 2014 Mary Emma Gage Music Award- Warren Wilson College.
- White, N. (2021). Farming in the time of pandemic. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, 10(2), 1-3.
- White, N. E. (2021). Quarantine kitchen: Examining the role of food and food experiences in meaning-making during COVID-19 [Master’s thesis, University of Washington]. Research Works.