Thurston Conservation District Elections FAQs
Please note, voting has concluded in the 2021 Board of Supervisors Election. This information is based on the 2021 voting procedures.
- Why is your election different than normal county elections? Our Elections processes are dictated by our governing law (RCW Chapter 89.08) and the procedures established by the Washington State Conservation Commission:
“When created in 1939, the Commission was also given the responsibility for establishing District election procedures. “The Commission shall establish procedures for elections, canvass the returns and announce the official results thereof.” RCW Chapter 89.08.190. Because District election authority resides in RCW Chapter 89.08, this sets them apart from other divisions of government whose elections are governed by RCW Chapter 29A. District elections do not fall under the state statute for general elections (Title 29A RCW) unless specifically identified in the Conservation Commission statute. In fact, RCW 29A.04.330(1)(b) specifically exempts conservation districts from general and special elections requirements, relying instead of election procedures established by the Conservation Commission.”
If you have concerns or feedback, the Commission has a feedback form on their website https://www.scc.wa.gov/cd/elections-administrators
- Can I get my ballot from the Auditor’s Office? No. You can request your ballot from Thurston CD. Thurston CD hires 2 temporary staff trained by the Thurston County Auditor who are handling all ballot requests and will serve as polling officers. No permanent Thurston CD staff will be handling ballots at any point. You can request an absentee ballot to be sent to your mailing address via phone or email through March 11th, 2021 at 4:30pm or in person March 8 -12th, 2021 from 8am to 4:30pm (360-754-3588 ext. 121, email@example.com, or 2918 Ferguson St. SW Suite A, Tumwater, WA 98512)
- How do I return my ballot? You can return it directly to the secure Thurston CD elections ballot drop box Monday-Friday, February 8, 2021 – March 16, 2021, between 8am and 4:30pm OR by mail (2918 Ferguson St SW Suite A, Tumwater, WA 98512). All ballots must be postmarked or returned by the day of the election, March 16, 2021 at 4:30pm. Postage is provided on all ballots.
- There’s only one name on my ballot, should I still vote? There is one eligible declared candidate on the ballot. A write-in candidate is also eligible to win the 2021 election should they receive the majority of votes, file their candidacy paperwork with the Election Supervisor within 28 days of the election, and are found to be eligible.
- How are you ensuring security in your election? TCD hires temporary election specific staff trained by the Thurston County Auditor’s office to ensure their ability to administer a secure election. These staff will receive absentee requests, fulfill those requests, and process returned ballots. These staff will also serve as polling officers during the election. No permanent TCD staff will handle or count ballots to ensure security. Members of the public are invited to join us as public observers of the polling process and ballot counting if they so choose.
- How is COVID-19 impacting your election? We are holding a mail-in-only election in 2021 to help ensure the health and safety of our staff, candidates, and voters. This means there will be no in-person polling site on election day as there has been in years past. This also means we’re asking voters to request their ballot either via email to firstname.lastname@example.org OR by calling 360-754-3588 ext.121. In person ballot requests can be made the week before the election (March 8-12, 2021) at the TCD Offices (2918 Ferguson St. SW, Suite A Tumwater, WA 98512). Temporary Elections staff may perform some duties, such as verifying voter eligibility, from home. No ballots will leave the TCD premises.
For more information about Conservation District Elections and COVID-19, please see this memo put out by the WA State Conservation Commission.
- When will the results of the election be announced? Preliminary election results will be shared on the Thurston CD website by March 26, 2021.
Election results will be certified by the Washington State Conservation Commission at their May meeting and will be finalized then.
Additional Questions? Contact the Election Supervisor
Education & Outreach Specialist
360-754-3588 ext.136 or 360-999-3727