There’s a lot to know about owning and managing land. We’re all part of a watershed and our actions can affect our shared natural resources. The things that you and your neighbors do can greatly improve the health of the resources we all appreciate about Puget Sound. Below you’ll find links to publications and resources that may be of use. Check our Resources page for additional publications.
Habitat Restoration & Enhancements Resources
- Thurston Waterways – You can use Thurston Waterways to explore valuable information, organizations, and programs that provide guidance in protecting local waterways.
- Cats and Wildlife – This publication discusses the impacts of domestic cats on wildlife.
- Wetlands in Thurston County – This publication explains what a wetland is, their function and the threats to them. It is discusses four large wetland areas in the county.
- Amphibians in the Pacific Northwest – This publication discusses why amphibians are important in our area and identifies some of the most common amphibians found here. There are also some tips on what you can do to help preserve them.
- Landscaping for Wildlife – This brochure discusses habitat, and why careful landscaping is important for wildlife. It identifies some of the types of wildlife you may see in our area, and includes some ideas to create and/or improve habitat for wildlife on your property.
- Oregon Spotted Frog Critical Habitat Designation and FAQs
- Habitat Management for Bumblebees in the Pacific Northwest
Water Quality & Shore Friendly Resources
- Shore Friendly Thurston Resources – These guidance documents are designed to be helpful resources for waterfront residents when exploring options for planting, building, or maintaining their property.
- Soft Shore Stabilization – A technical guide intended to assist in understanding the soft shoreline stabilization concept, planning for soft stabilization, and implementing soft shoreline stabilization regulations through administration of updated Shoreline Master Programs.
- Your Marine Waterfront – A user friendly guide for marine shoreline landowners.
- Green Shorelines For Lakes – A guide specifically made for Lake Washington shoreline landowners with guidelines that are relevant for all lake shore landowners.
- Puget Sound Coastal Living – This publication is geared toward residents along our Puget Sound shorelines. Get to know your shoreline and find resources to help you learn more about how to care for you shoreline property.
- Your Role in Deschutes Watershed Water Quality Improvement– If you live in the Deschutes, this publication is for you!
- Roof Water Diversion – A guide to putting gutters on your barn to divert rain water to control for mud and water contamination.
Native Plant Resources
- Plant It Right – (WSU Extension) This publication discusses the proper way to plant bareroot, stakes, and plugs for best success.
- Native Plant Directory – Use this Washington Native Plant Society directory to learn more about plants native to your region.
- Plant Resources– The Thurston Conservation District offers a list of native plant sourcing information
- Landscaping Tips & Tools – Check out guidance related to conservation landscaping and how to incorporate native plants into your landscape and yard.
Noxious Weed Resources
- iOS mobile app or Android mobile app – An invasive species app is available now to help people identify and report invasive species
- Thurston County Noxious Weeds – This website provides more information on noxious weeds including photos and detailed information
- 2020 Washington State Noxious Weed List – This list is created and maintained by the Washington State Noxious Weed Control Board and is updated with the newest noxious weeds in our state
- Weed Search – Trying to identify a weed? Use this search form with what you know, and find the matching results from the Washington State Noxious Weed Control Boards weed database