Outreach & Volunteer Coordinator AmeriCorps Position
The Outreach and Volunteer Coordinator performs direct implementation and volunteer coordination of restoration projects, education about land stewardship, and outreach to adults and youth through numerous workshops, events and social media.
This position will take on a unique role within the community by bridging the gap between landowners and education in all fields of natural resources management. Service from this position is designed to inspire community connectedness: through volunteering that fosters a sense of environmental stewardship in youth and adults using a variety of specific outreach programs, and building and strengthening relationships between Thurston Conservation District, community organizations, and individual private landowners.
The Thurston Conservation District is voluntary, non-regulatory organization designed to assist landowners in managing the natural resources on their property. Along with technical assistance, the district has a variety of landowner and youth education programs, restoration projects and other services. The district is very active in the community and in partnership outreach and implementation projects. The district serves the residents of Thurston County.
Full position description: WSC Position Description Form PY 17-18 Thurston Conservation District
Click on the link with the corresponding position title to submit your application!
South Sound GREEN Puget Sound Educator AmeriCorps Position
South Sound GREEN engages youth in hands-on science and the study of local freshwater lakes, rivers and streams and their impact on Puget Sound. Through these studies, youth learn how to improve their watershed through action!
The South Sound GREEN Puget Sound Watershed Educator will serve in a well-established place-based environmental education program serving more than 1,000 students and 40 teachers on an annual basis. Through water quality sampling and data analysis education, the AmeriCorps member will serve in the classroom, at local Puget Sound beaches, marinas, wetlands, creeks, lakes and other outdoor learning environments. The AmeriCorps member will engage students through water quality monitoring, nearshore experiences, restoration and other service learning projects, and the 26th Annual Student GREEN Congress where students will present and analyze data on more than 50 monitoring sites. He/she will assist teachers by increasing their skills and confidence with watershed education and assist with an annual teacher training called Summer Teacher Institute in June 2018. Additionally, the AmeriCorps member will coordinate volunteers, assist with water quality monitoring events twice per Program Year, plan and implement habitat enhancement projects, provide program outreach such as articles for SSG’s Water Watchers newsletter, coordinate with program partners and facilitate service learning projects with classes to benefit their watershed. This position is contingent on funding.
The AmeriCorps member will:
- Team up with South Sound GREEN staff on all programmatic levels, from curriculum development to classroom and field lessons centered on South Puget Sound watersheds, water quality conditions, and current issues facing these ecosystems.
- Evaluate students for knowledge gained and behavior changes.
- Contribute support and planning for the 26th Annual Student GREEN Congress in Spring 2018 where participating students will present their water quality data and identify ways to improve their watershed.
- Participate in joint planning and leadership opportunities in Spring Nearshore/Marine Field Trips to the beaches of Puget Sound.
- Directly engage in Service Learning Projects with students and teachers, through restoration, riparian enhancement projects, invasive species removal and student initiated action projects.
- Participate in joint planning with community partners for the annual Summer Teacher Institute, June 2018 with a theme of sea level rise in urban areas.
Applicants must be between ages 18 and 25. Applications will be accepted through July 31st, 2017 and will be evaluated as received. To view application criteria and to apply visit the AmeriCorps website: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=74470&fromSearch=true
Any questions can be directed to Stephanie Bishop, South Sound GREEN Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-754-3588, ext. 108.
AmeriCorps Service Term Benefits for Program Year 2017-18
- Monthly stipend of $1,202.86 before deductions and withholdings.
- Basic health insurance (not including vision coverage).
- Workers compensation coverage.
- Assistance with childcare costs.
- $5,815 education award (10.5-month positions) that can be used for future schooling or to pay off existing qualified student loan debt (upon successful completion of the service term).
- Forbearance (temporarily postponing paying off a loan) of qualified student loans during the service term.
- Payment of interest on qualified student loans that accrued during the service term.
- Serving in a full-time AmeriCorps position qualifies as “employment” towards the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program.
We sincerely thank you for your interest in joining the work we do at Thurston Conservation District!