There is a midterm vacancy for a Board of Supervisor’s elected position at Thurston Conservation District. This position will be filled via an application and appointment process administered by our Board of Supervisors. Per WAC 135-110-970, “A vacancy in the office of elected conservation district supervisor is filled by the conservation district board of supervisors for the remainder of the unexpired term, subject to the verification of supervisor qualifications by the conservation commission. While due notice to the affected community is strongly recommended, it is not required.”
The deadline to apply to fulfill a vacant elected seat on the Thurston Conservation District’s Board of Supervisors is March 28th, 2019 at 4:30 pm.
To apply for this position, please submit:
- A completed application(Hard copies available from Thurston CD Staff)
- Cover Letter
- Resume (no longer than two pages)
Application materials should be submitted to the Interim Executive Director, Sarah Moorehead at email@example.com – subject: ‘YOUR NAME-Mid-term Seat Application’.
Note: We encourage applicants to apply via electronic submission. Please be in contact if this is an impediment and alternative arrangements can be made – firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-754-3588 ext.136
The Thurston Conservation District is seeking qualified candidates among Thurston County residents that reside within the district boundaries and have interest in serving the people of Thurston County. This is an elected position vacancy, which expires in May 2020.
The selected candidate will become part of a volunteer five-person Board of Supervisors, who serve without compensation. The Board is responsible for setting and maintaining overall district policies and initiatives regarding the management and conservation of natural resources within the district boundaries.
Candidates must be registered to vote. The board is seeking a demonstrated team player that is willing and able to commit about 20 hours a month, and through the remainder of the term and a passion for preserving natural resources.
The following skills, qualifications and expectations are required for this position:
- Willingness and ability to work and communicate effectively with a team;
- Willingness to fully participate in board discussions and decisions in
open, public meetings;
- Willingness and ability to be respectful of Staff and other Supervisors;
- Functional knowledge of Conservation Districts;
- Willingness and ability to meet all Supervisor requirements set forth in the
Board of Supervisors Authorities & Responsibilities policy;
- Willingness and ability to participate in various leadership roles, if needed,
such as special committees or board officer position;
- Willingness and ability to represent the District to other public entities and
policymakers upon request of the board;
- Willingness and ability to complete both the Washington State Conservation
Commission and district orientations within 30 days of assuming office;
- Willingness and ability to complete the Open Public Meetings Act and
Public Records Management training within 90 days of assuming office;
- Having a basic working knowledge of email and internet; and
- Willing and able to serve the best interest of the citizens of Thurston County, with the ability to put aside personal issues and grievances;
- Willingness to work between meetings to address District business and review information.
Applicant interviews are currently scheduled to take place on Tuesday, April 2nd beginning at 1:30pm. Individual applicants will be contacted directly as well.
Contact Interim Executive Director, Sarah Moorehead: email@example.com or 360-754-3588 ext.136