- About Us
- Education & Outreach
- Programs & Services
- South Sound GREEN
- Plant Sale
- South Sound FarmLink
- Climate Corner
- Mount2Sound Adventures
Thurston Conservation District 2015 Election Currently Underway
Absentee Ballots Available Now
Cast Your Vote In Person on March 7th (10am - 2pm)
The Thurston Conservation District is pleased to announce two candidates are running for the open elected position, Jim Goche (Incumbent) and Samantha Fleischner. Nominations for the elected position closed at 4:30 pm on February 3, 2015.
To vote in Thurston Conservation District's election, you must be registered to vote in Thurston County and reside within Thurston Conservation District's boundaries. These boundaries exclude portions of Yelm, Tenino, & Rainier. If you are unsure if your are eligible to vote, based on residence in the Thurston Conservation District boundaries, please contact Thurston Conservation District, at 360.754.3588.
- In Person: You can vote in person at Thurston Conservation District on March 7, 2015, between the hours of 10 am - 2 pm. (We will also be holding our Annual Native Plant Sale at this time, with free shellfish snacks, workshops, native plants, and much more! Join Us!)
- Requesting an Absentee Ballot: You can vote via an absentee ballot. Absentee ballots are available from February 4 - March 5 at 4:30pm. To request an absentee ballot, you must contact Thurston Conservation District via phone, in person, mail, or email and provide your full name, birthdate, address on your voter registration, and mailing address, if different than your voter registration. Absentee ballots may be requested on your behalf by a family member or registered domestic partner. Use any of the following contact information to request an absentee ballot: 360.754.3588; firstname.lastname@example.org; 2918 Ferguson St SW, Tumwater WA, 98512
- Submitting an Absentee Ballot
Absentee ballots may be submitted by any of the following methods. Note the deadlines for for each!
1) Mailed to Thurston County Elections Office (must be postmarked by March 7, 2015) at 2000 Lakeridge Drive Southwest, Bldg #1, Olympia, WA 98502.
2) Delivered to Thurston County Elections ballot box in the parking lot of Thurston County Courthouse, by March 6th at 4:30pm, address same as above
3) Hand delivered to Thurston County Elections Office by March 6, 2015 at 4:30pm, address same as above
4) Hand delivered to Thurston Conservation District on March 7, between 10am - 2pm at 2918 Ferguson St SW, Suite A, Tumwater, WA, 98512
Please note completed ballots will only be accepted by the deadlines stated above. Outside of the day of election (March 7; 10-2), Thurston Conservation District does not handle or manage completed absentee ballots, so please do not bring them to our office.
Thurston Conservation District Board
Jim Goche and Samantha Fleischner are both seeking an opportunity to contribute to conservation and their communities by serving on our Board of Supervisors. Supervisors are public officials who direct the activities of the conservation district, identify local conservation needs, set priorities, and oversee the implementation of plans to conserve soil, water, wildlife, and other renewable resources.
Five members comprise the Board, each serving three-year terms, without compensation. Three of the five Supervisors are elected by registered Thurston County voters, and two are appointed by the Washington State Conservation Commission. David Hall, Jim Goche, & Treacy Kreger serve in the three elected Supervisor positions. Doug Rushton and Eric Johnson serve in the appointed positions. The elected position held by Jim Goche and the appointed position held by Doug Rushton expire in 2015.
Please click the links below to see each Candidate's Statement/Biography
We are still accepting candidate applications for one appointed position. Candidates must be registered voters and a Thurston County landowner or operator of a farm within the Thurston Conservation District boundaries, which excludes residents within the 1948 boundaries of Yelm, Tenino and Rainier. Below are the forms and instructions associated with applying for the appointed position.
Forms: Letter of Interest & Candidate Application
Submit to Washington State Conservation Commission via mail by March 31, 2015.
Washington State Conservation Commission
PO Box 47721
Olympia WA 98504
For more information, please contact Kathleen Whalen:
email@example.com or 360-754-3588 ext 114
Thurston Conservation District
2918 Ferguson St SW, Suite A
Tumwater WA 98512